Preventative Dental Care in North York
One of the best ways to prevent tooth decay starts with you! Proper oral hygiene at home is key to keeping your smile healthy and beautiful.
The bacteria in your mouth produce plaque throughout the day, especially after meals. The highest plaque production comes after eating foods high in sugars, carbs and starch.
To protect yourself from the damage plaque can cause, there are some simple steps you can take:
- Brush your teeth after every meal (a toothbrush at the office is a great idea, besides oral health it will help get rid of the garlic you had for lunch).
- Floss or use an equivalent tool for cleaning between teeth, especially in the morning and before bed.
- If you chew gum, make sure it is sugarless, chewing gum after a meal will freshen your breath as well as encourage saliva production for flushing away plaque causing bacteria and sugar attached to your teeth.
- Enjoy a healthy diet low in sugars and balanced nutritionally.
- If you enjoy a sugary snack, have it with a meal.
- Visit your dentist regularly, and if you are prone to cavities, ask about dental sealants and other preventative treatments.
By keeping your teeth, gums and mouth clean, you will enjoy a healthy smile for years to come. Plus, baring any accidents or other misfortunes, most of your teeth will really be "your teeth".
If you have any questions regarding preventative dental care, feel free to ask your North York Dentist, located near Yorkdale - Dr. Nick Babatsikos at Lawrence West Dental.